Sunday, February 17, 2008

(journal 5:) Young Artists' Philharmonic

Young Artists' Philharmonic (YAP), is a group of junior high and high school age students who live in the Stamford area and want to be in an orchestra other than school. There are also the younger orchestras Young People's Symphony (YPS) and Young String Ensemble (YSE). This year they are adding a Young Flute Ensemble (YFE). This is my third year of being in one of the orchestras. My first year I was playing cello in the Young People's Symphony. I was in both the Young People's Symphony and the Young Artists Philharmonic in my second year. This year the music is simpler than last year. Our orchestra consists of about 100 students. We have all four instrument groups in our orchestra. I love playing in an orchestra where all the children are at a high level, because they sound professional. We give three or more concerts a year. Last year we played in the Stamford Town Center and in Stamford's Pink Tent Festival. Last year the Young Artists Philharmonic went to Montreal. I decided not to go, but when everyone got back they said what fun it had been and I wished I had gone. This year I am an assistant teacer under Miss Hymes, the conductor of the Young People's Symphony, and Mrs. DiFranco, the conductor of the Young String Ensemble. The conductor of the Young Artists' Philharmonic is Salvatore Princiotti, who conducts the advanced group of the Greenwich Arts Camp, teaches orchestra in Darien, and gives private lessons to many students. He is a fine conductor.

No comments: